April 2015 Book Reviews | Facades and Nuances: April 2015 Book Reviews

Monday, May 11, 2015

April 2015 Book Reviews


It's time for the April 2015 book reviews! Every month, I share what books I read during the previous month and give my opinions on them. If you would like to see any of the previous reviews, follow the link here.

Though I started many books last month, I only managed to finish reading three. Its always a little surprising when some incredibly famous books are not your cup of tea. That being said, I did read some great books this month.
 The Secret History by Donna Tartt - I kept  hearing her name, so when I saw that my library had this ebook, I decided to give her a chance. She certainly lives up to the hype. The premise is a little difficult to describe, but it centers on a group of eccentric individuals that study the Greek Classics in a very exclusive class in college and strive to live in the modern world as Greeks. I know that sounds bland, but I promise you it's not. The characters are smug yet riveting and the more they immerse themselves in the Classics they start crossing the lines of morality. I am not well versed in the Classics, but even I could tell that Donna Tartt had  interwoven aspects of the Classics into the characters and the plot. I also loved the romantic tone that the novel maintained throughout the novel. In short, Donna Tartt is a genius and I can't wait to read her other books.

The Verdict: A masterpiece to be read with any drink of your choice

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - This book has been getting a lot of attention recently and for a good reason. It's short fast-paced thriller with an odd yet captivating premise. Our main character Rachel takes the same train every morning and has started to recognize a couple in one of the homes that she passes by. But one day, when it is reported that the wife is missing, Rachel is sure that she has information that can help. Told through multiple points of view, Paula Hawkins does a fantastic job of presenting flawed characters that are frustrating yet relatable. Though the ending was slightly disappointing for me, I still enjoyed it.

The Verdict: A quick read to accompany your cup of tea or coffee

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling - Everyone loves Mindy Kaling and her book came highly recommended. I was a little disappointed that it didn't offer any life advice, but I found it to be an enjoyable and fast-paced read.  Is it weird that at times she sounded like my best friend? To be honest, I don't really remember anything specific about it except that it put me in a good mood. Mindy Kaling is incredibly determined, sweet, and optimistic and this book is great for when you are feeling down.

The Verdict: A light read to brighten your spirits. 

What books did you read this month? Did you read any of these books? What did you think of them? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...